Jesus says in John 15:4, “Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.”
Remain.
Stay.
God does not move. If I find myself apart from him in any way, it is ME that moved. I did not remain. I let my focus wander. I did not keep him constantly in my mind.
Why is it so easy to let my focus wander away from where it should be, from where I want it to be? It happens to all of us. We get busy and distracted. Life seems to either be great and we forget how much we need God, or so difficult that we isolate ourselves in order to survive. Our hurts and disappointments can suffocate and paralyze us with their intensity.
Yet this is not where God wants us to live.
He wants us to remain in him. Remain in his love. Remain in his peace. Remain in his care.
The other day I was thinking about how my focus is not as strongly on God as I would like it to be. My next thoughts ventured to things I have learned over the last couple years. I have written down many of those lessons and often go back to reread them.
It is good to remember what God has done for us. Remember how he delivered us. Remember how he uses our experiences for his glory.
I have a physical reminder at home of all that God has done for me. It is a small stone called Ebenezer. Why Ebenezer? I am glad you asked.
Samuel then took a large stone and placed it between the towns of Mizpah and Jeshanah. He named it Ebenezer (which means “the stone of help”), for he said, “Up to this point the Lord has helped us!”
~ 1 Samuel 7:12
It is good to reflect on God’s goodness, mercy, grace, love, faithfulness, and wisdom.
So often my head wants to know why things happen, but my heart wants to know where God is. Where is he when I am feeling shattered and alone? Where is he when I feel lost and disappointed? At these times I often need to acknowledge how God has helped me up to this point.
I need my perspective to shift back to truth. The truth my head knows but my heart does not always feel. The truth that God is with me, loves me, sees me, and has not forsaken me. The truth that God sent his son, Jesus, for my sake.
Jesus.
Immanuel.
God with us.

Beautiful, dear Rachel. Thank you.
ReplyDelete