Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Change

As I drove to Mc Ds today to grab a diet soda, I wondered if I would blog today. If I did, what would my post be about? I was to find out soon enough. Here was my conversation with the cashier.

Me: I would like a medium soda please.

Cashier: Two medium sodas?

Me: No, just one.

Cashier: Oh, ok. That will be $1.58.

I looked in my wallet and only saw a $20.00, so I handed it over. I decided against getting more coins for my wallet as the cashier rang up the $20.00.

Me: I think I have $0.58.

I began to root for the change.

Cashier: Oh, I can't do it now. I can't do the math in my head.

Uh, really? Is this calculation really that complicated? Don't laugh at her, Rachel, don't laugh at her.

Me: Oookaaaaay.

I was really dumbfounded. How can she not know that she should give me $1.00 if I handed her $0.58? America's future is in the hands of young people everywhere and they don't even know how to count out change. I think I'm scared.

5 comments:

  1. When I taught high school math I used to tell my kids "If you don't want to end up working at McDonalds for the rest of your life..."

    I guess that was too lofty a goal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. my. word. That's the most pitiful story I've heard lately. Bless it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! It's times like those I want to deny being a teacher. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. My question....were you able to keep from laughing?????

    ReplyDelete
  5. MF - I was. But only until I got to my car. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...